Thursday, December 24, 2009

Storing your old school stuff

OD&D and it's supplements were produced in digest format. In addition many of the products created for the Old School Renaissance are also produced in digest form. Chgowiz in this post (thanks Philip) mentioned that this paper mache book shaped box made for excellent storage of these digest sized books. Unfortunately the on-line site had it not available for months. I finally scored a pair when I went Christmas Eve shopping and came across them in a large Jo-ann store in Peoria Arizona.

Determined to some find some that the rest of you can buy I put my google fu to work and came across this website at CreateForLess.com. The only problem is that you have to order 3 sizes at once.

If you search for yourself the key term is Paper Mache Book Box. Also if you happen to find a rectangular box of the right size (6" by 9") then probably a lot of folks would be interested in that as well.

The Original D&D Discussion Forum has a lot of useful advice here.

And the post by Coffee which the true origin of this particular quest of mine.

9 comments:

Dr Rotwang said...

My daughter, 5 years old, purchased and painted one of those for me FOR THIS EXACT REASON.

Piper said...

I ordered a pair of these from JoAnn in September. It took 3 months, 4 different service representatives, and 9 telephone calls to receive my merchandise.

They finally did fill my order, and they waived shipping costs (which I appreciated very much) but the hassle grew to epic proportions.

Just a heads up for everyone thinking of following your advice.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Not familiar with Jo-ann (is this an american thing?).

I love the idea of a storage box for those digest publications.

Piper said...

It is a fabric and craft store with an online presence:

http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp?WT.term=joann+fabrics&WT.campaign=1798&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.content=510291219&cm_mmc=google-_-1798-_-510291219-_-joann+fabrics&cshift_ck=1635449562cs510291219&WT.srch=1

p-w-b said...

Chgowiz mentioned using a box for this purpose, though I think he picked up the idea from a forum posting.

Robert Conley said...

@DuBeers

I am aware with the issue of ordering from Jo-Ann which is why I put up the Createforless link.

It is good that you mentioned it. Personally I don't understand the ebb and flow of craft fads. I bought and used several items from Jo-ann over the years only to see them disappear utterly.

Doug Easterly said...

The Planet Algol blog (http://planetalgol.blogspot.com) posted links to candy boxes that could also do the trick:

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?c2p=hp&pn=BX1400&bhcd2=1261536087

http://www.prettypartyplace.com/sb-211.html

leadjunkie said...

Robert - I want to take a moment to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog every day.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

P.S. for those with access to Garden Ridge or similar stores, there are wooden book-boxes like these that are already painted. They come in a variety of sizes.

Restless said...

Check out the medium-sized box.

I'll have to see if I can get the wife to go to Garden Ridge in Sugar Land and see if we can find anything. (How often is it that you can't get your wife to stop off at Garden Ridge?)