Sunday, May 16, 2010

More Movie and TV Comments

I just saw the Whole Wide World after it being recommended by James at Grognardia. I can't say exactly what about it is appealing to gamers like myself but I find it very enjoyable. Both Vincent D'Onofrio and Renée Zellweger do an excellent job. Also it is true that the movie is gorgeous with many excellent shots of the Texas landscape.

My friend, Tim of Gothridge Manor, is reading Spartacus War. After seeing Spartacus, Blood and Sand, he wanted to read up on the man. He recommended it to me. I looked up and found it was available for the Kindle and bought it.

So far it is a good read. One pleasant surprise was about the Sura plotline from the TV show. Sura, Spartacus' wife is a priestess, in Spartacus mind she is not only the focus of his love but also the focus of a prophecy that he is touched by the god and destined to do great things. I thought it was artistic license by the producers but it turns out that something similar was reported among the ancient writers. The author of Spartacus War admits that it was presented more as rumor than verified fact but given the time period very well could have played a major part in Spartacus motivations.

Which leads to my Majestic Wilderlands campaign. From time to the time, the gods of the Wilderlands will speak in visions, signs and portents. For each player I will make up a vague destiny that relates to the unfolding events of the campaign. Occasionally I will send a sign or if the circumstances warrant it a vision. For those who play clerics, paladins, and myrmidons the communications can be more direct.

The important thing about this that players can act on them or not. Free will is a very important part of the Wilderlands cosmology. The gods send them to show what they could be, not what they should do. What they do about is entirely up to them.

No comments: