Sunday, January 10, 2010

You say Myrmidon, I say Myrmidon

In my interview for RPG Circus and a brief discussion occurred before the show over how to pronounce Wilderlands. My group and I pronounce it Wild-er-land. Many others pronounce it Will-der-lands.

One that we unwittingly mangled for several decades was Myrmidon.

This is how we pronounce the word.

Mer-ri-din

Then Dwayne of Gamer's Closet stumbles over a clip of Achilles addressing his Myrmidons in the movie Troy.

There the work is pronounced

Mer-mi-dons.

I guess we dropped that middle m and made it rhyme with Paladin.

I hope you find this humorous. Of course your group can pronounce it however you like.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to mangle the word "scimitar", pronouncing it "schmiter" like "quiter"

Kiltedyaksman said...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Myrmidon

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE TROUBLE TALK, IHAVE TRUOBLE RIGHTING!!!. (YOU ALSO HAVE TROUBEL RIGHT SOMETIME]

Norman J. Harman Jr. said...

I've mispronounced so many words I've read in gaming materials (but never heard spoken). Lots of great vocabulary esp Gygax stuff.

Ogre one syllable "orge".

Knoll and gnoll as "ka-noll" and "ga-noll"

Anonymous said...

In my corner of the world, too many people pronounce "melee" as mee-lee, rather then mel-ay. Makes me think of those little mealy-bugs that you don't want in your flour.

Aaron E. Steele said...

How about facade? Mispronouncing that one caused me no end of embarrassment, as people wondered just what kind of assistance I was in need of.

Oops.

squidman said...

the mispronouncing thing is a very funny and common phenomenon. i've recently met a guy from us who claims that "klingon" is pronounced with a silent "g", something like [klyon].

Eli Arndt said...

Let's see -

chaos = Chay-oss
chimera = chi-mur-ah
paladin = pa-LA-din

And how the heck do people pronounce bulette?

we always pronounced in like "bew-let"

Norman J. Harman Jr. said...

Ha! Chimera is one I still get wrong and didn't hear correctly until a couple years ago, I'm 39.

Eli Arndt said...

I once made the mistake of arguing chimera once with a very insistent player. Even after I pulled out the word's language of origin and the proper way to pronounce it given that linguisitc origin, he was still about to go to blows over it.

Sheeh...

Don't even get me started on Japanese words and some of the butchery I've heard there.

Scott said...

Back in high school some of the players used to pronounce scimitar as "schmiter" as a joke. I wonder if you're from my neck of the woods, jcftao? I suspect Glenn is too, as I don't think I have ever heard mee-lee pronounced as "mee-lay".