Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Game Night at the Conleys

Tuesday is one of the night where I have primary responsibility for taking care of entertaining the kids. My eldest son is in Junior High School and is showing great interest in the various games I have. So I pulled out a copy of Axis & Allies War at Sea, a naval miniatures game, and setup a basic scenario. He then promptly blew my battleship out of the water with an incredible roll scoring 15 hits rolling 16 dice. (4 or 5 counts as 1, 6 as 2). My return fire did not so well. And the rest of the game was him chasing down all my ships and blowing them out of the water.

My youngest was being a bit rude trying to intrude himself into the game. So I told him to play on the other table and I will be glad to play a round after his brother and I were done. While getting blown out of the water, he was purloining dice out of my box and setting up a game of his own using Legos. When I finished I came over and found 16 assorted Lego figures and vehicles he built; lined up 8 on a side. In front of each side was four dice with the 1 side up.

The game consisted of rolling dice adding them up and moving a figure that many "steps". Then you fired on a guy. Each figure could move and fire once. He kept adding rules about shields and shooting weapons as the game wore on. I not sure who won but it was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Rusty said...

"He kept adding rules about shields and shooting weapons as the game wore on. I not sure who won but it was a lot of fun." Rob, it sounds like you have a budding game designer. Anything that combines dice and LEGOs is pure genius.

Chris Creel said...

That sounds like a lot of fun and that's what games are supposed to be about.