Sunday, November 26, 2017

First question on the City State of the Invincible Overlord Map

+simontmn ask
I always thought the Cryptic Citadel was one big building, this shows it as a small circular building surrounded by a courtyard?
On the original it is a judgement call. 


A case could be made for it to be a big giant building due to lack of interior detail like plants or roadways like the one leading to the lower entrance.

But then I got the no-name city photocopy.


Notice how the walls are shaded like the city walls. Despite the lack of a interior crenelation this to me meant the inside is a courtyard not a building.


Product Launch
The launch went well. So far 100 kickstarter backers have claimed their coupons. Plus I made 18 sales enough to put the map at #9 on the Bestselling Titles and #3 on hottest small press. I appreciate the business and the numerous good compliments. When some reviews, good or bad, appear I will make a post linking to them.

If you are interested in getting this map for yourself you can buy it here on RPGNow for $8.

In addition to the City State of Invincible Overlord, Revised, and Guide to City State (1976) it was pointed out by Falconer that one can use the Initial Guidelines Booklet I as well. The Initial Guidlines Booklet I is what Judges Guild sent out after the selling the maps at Gen Con IX. 

Then there also the Necromancer Games version of the City State of the Invincible Overlord which fleshes out the entries and includes the Wraith Overlord Sewer Supplement


4 comments:

Simon said...

Thanks Rob (My alter ego is simontmn) :)
Hm, I think for my game I'm going to keep it as one big building, since I see it as built over the core of some kind of probably-Markab hi-tech structure much beyond the current tech level of the Wilderlands. And bigger means more space for weird dungeon-crawling. But thanks for the analysis! :)

Greyhawk Grognard said...

I always thought it was one big building. Having the protruding round corners really only makes sense if they're the outline of corner towers. It would be a waste of space to put those weird round walls like that unless there was some reason.

Greyhawk Grognard said...

Something like this, with a tower in the center:

https://www.ryemuseum.co.uk/wp-content/themes/ryemuseum/timthumb.php?src=http://www.ryemuseum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ypres-Tower-Today-C.-Sawyer.jpg&w=640&h=480

Miranda said...

I think I agree with this interpretation EXCEPT for the path leading to the tower itself. It seems to me the original intent seems more like something like the Tower of the Elephant where the space in between is meant to maybe be inhospitable or at least featureless.