Friday, February 5, 2010

Driving through Central PA and other thoughts

My business trip to Long Island has concluded quite successfully despite it involving retro-fitting a metal forming machine that I never worked with before. One of the nice about coming back from Long Island to Meadville is that I get to drive through Central PA on I-80. The Delaware water gap and the area east of State College are quite spectacular. East of State College I-80 curves around a small mountain, goes through a gap, and then emerges into a magnificent view of one on the central valleys of central Pennsylvania.

Along with enjoying the beauty and looking forward to being back with Kelly Anne and by boys; I always found this part of the trip evocative for coming up with ideas for my campaigns. Once in the valley I-80 runs along the southern side. To my left, going west, is the southern ridge line soaring several hundred feet above me. To my right the valley floor gently slopes north for several miles before rising suddenly in the northern ridge line. Every couple of miles or so there is a gap beyond which can be seen glimpses of the next valley. I think of what could be beyond those gaps and nearly always come away with a good idea or two.

In other news I noticed that Dungeon Alphabet and Advanced Edition Companion (Labyrinth Lord) have nailed the #1 and #2 position simultaneously at RPGNow. Congratulations to both and gratifying to see that the OSR is still growing. Majestic Wilderlands is hanging in there at #39 thanks to continuing purchases. While not anything like December it is enough to keep it up there and as always I appreciate the business.



5 comments:

imredave said...

Obviously a different reaction to central Pennsylvania than my friend who believed it should be flooded to provide hydrofoil service to New York. Personally, being of a more practical nature and having driven the same strech of winding superhighway with a shear drop next to the shoulder, I understand why PA kept the speed limit at 55 for longer than the adjoining states.

Joseph said...

What a pity! I wish I had known-- you were about a hundred yards from my house at one point (just off I-80 in NJ).

pmullen said...

Hey Bat,

I grew up in Them-Thar-Hills (Altoona-Johnstown) and I think your observations on the mountains are just about the same as my own. I remember the long hikes and camping expeditions my brothers and I took to explore the hills and valleys hidden away in the backwoods. I'd always come home and fill up sketchbooks with ideas for my drawings.

pmullen

Rusty said...

It is a nice drive. The semis can be a bit of a nuisance (and an occasional danger). You pass them going up the inclines and then they blow by you at supersonic speeds on the way down.

I used to live in State College for five years before moving to the Harrisburg/Lancaster area.

leadjunkie said...

I have the same experience when driving through central Texas. The rolling hills give the feeling of, what's around the next bend, that is so lacking in flat North Texas.

I'm coming back to PA this summer for Historicon. I'm flying in to Philly and driving to Valley Forge. I hope to have the same experience.