Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Concerning the Future of Traveller

 I have been a fan of Traveller for a long time and have bought various books over the years from just about every Traveller licensee, as well as from Marc Miller himself from Far Future. I also support the Citizen of the Imperium forum, which is the main hub for chatting about Traveller. 


Earlier today, I got this email from Marc Miller about the future of Traveller. It good to hear that there is a plan in place.

Some years ago, fellow game designer Greg Stafford died, and I was impressed that his company announced almost immediately that he had a succession plan in place, and that his legacy and his designs would live on.

His example was an inspiration to me, and I resolved to emulate him. It would be a terrible loss if Traveller were encumbered, or somehow restricted in its outreach to present and future fans.

With that in mind, I have worked to make Traveller an asset to science-fiction role-players... with our user-friendly Fair Use policies, with the Travellers’ Aid Society programs, with the Cepheus editions of Traveller, and with Mongoose as a primary publisher of their edition of Traveller.

Over the past several years, I have turned over more and more responsibilities to Mongoose, and I have collaborated actively with them as they work to realize the Traveller dream. Earlier this year I passed full ownership of Traveller to Mongoose in order to secure its future.

With that in mind, I point out that, following the example of Greg Stafford, I have a succession plan in place: day-to-day decisions about the Traveller game system are already being made by Mongoose Publishing (with my co-operation and approval), and if anything should happen to me, they would carry on with my full knowledge and blessing. 

That doesn’t stop me from speaking my mind: expressing opinions about Traveller, writing stories and lore, and even revealing secrets about the universe. 

But Traveller is in good hands, now, and far into the far future.

And I thank you for your (continuing) support for Traveller.

Marc


4 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

I'd be a lot happier if I were a fan of Mongoose, but I'm not. Will Mongoose maintain the availability of Classic Traveller materials? Probably not.

GeekHammer said...

Looks like Mongoose is considering adding Classic Traveller to their supported TAS content. https://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/threads/classic-traveller-to-come-to-tas.124927/#post-980622

Dick McGee said...

If I trusted Mongoose at all that would be good news, but I don't. Learned my lesson back in their miniatures days and will never give them another dime for anything. They'll support Traveller right up until the moment they don't, and you won't get any warning at all when the axe falls.

Craig Oliver said...

While I liked Mongoose Traveller 1st edition, the 2nd edition I don't like much at all. Overpriced, the physical books fall apart as soon as you open them, and I do not like the artwork at all (though at least they finally gave up on the entirely unusable orthogonal deck plans). But I have almost all the old stuff (miraculously I held on to it from high school, college, marriage, divorce, marriage and child!) So it really does not matter much to me at all.

But: at least it won't be in limbo if something happens to Marc (which is inevitable for all of us!). And perhaps Mongoose may be able to get the DGP stuff finally...