Friday, January 13, 2023

My Response to the January 13th 2023 statement by Wizards

 NUTS!

- With all due respect to General Anthony McAuliffe of the 101st Airborne

A link to the Wizard's statement

The relevant section

The next OGL will contain the provisions that allow us to protect and cultivate the inclusive environment we are trying to build and specify that it covers only content for TTRPGs. That means that other expressions, such as educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses, etc., will remain unaffected by any OGL update. Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected


Says nothing about being able to continue to use the OGL 1.0a license, Or whether we can make new content using the license. Or what we have to do to get this safe harbor.

Update:

(Removed because it is a distraction from the larger issues at hand)



4 comments:

JDJarvis said...

Yup. that statement is too little too late. Nothing to see either and your view on the situation is entirely reasonable.

Dick McGee said...

My first real job was in a corporate mailroom, way back in the early 80s. All your juvenile suggestion will do is make some poor minimum-wage clerks' lives just that little bit more miserable. Save your childish gestures for a business small enough that the decision makers might actually have to deal with the hassle you're trying to cause, you jackass.

Speaking of which, what's your mailing address? I've got something for you to show my opinion of your call to action. Let's just call it a nice big package of "processed" nuts.

Robert Conley said...

Dick McGee,

All forms of protests have unintended consequences. I did think about the staff at Wizards of the Coast when I considered saying that we should send nuts to WoTC. While I disagree with your reasoning, I understand where you are coming from.

Your post did make me realize that whatever the merits are of what I said about mailing a can of nuts to WoTC they are in the end an unnecessary distraction. So I decided to remove that portion of my post.

Before this we often let various differences divide us. Even now I see points being made that a month ago would have drawn a rebuttal from me. But because of the existential threat now happening, I realized now is not the time to raise the issue. Hence I removed the distraction from my post. But the rest will remain.

Appreciate the feedback despite our disagreement.

Ruprecht said...

All the Wizards employees with nut allergies would thank you no doubt.
Perhaps emails with pictures of nuts would be better.