Sunday, March 29, 2020

A Location that inspired me

I lived in my hometown my whole life and occasionally get to see some off beat location decades after I visited them as a kid. During high school I would walk two miles to play DnD at a friend house. To get there I had to cross one of the older (and largest) cemetery in my town. Just beyond its border was a ravine that I had to follow a path down and up before I reached the road my friends' house was on the other side of the woods.

The place where I crossed the stream in the ravine never ceased to amaze and inspire me especially in mid afternoon when the sun is hitting the area at the right angle. To me it looked something out of Middle Earth and got me pumped up to play ADnD.

A few days ago my family wanted to get out of the house and take a walk. I suggested the area as the last time I visited it was a decade ago when my kids were younger. The walk was great except at the end where we a turn and the trail turned rough when it dipped into a tributary of the main stream. We had to work our way down into the main ravine and it turned the hike into a bit of an adventure.

But I took some photos and hope they inspire you as much as they inspired me.




3 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

Reminds me of Tennessee, when I was 12. (Before D&D, but I was already a Middle Earth fan.)

John Powell said...

They say there is a huge guy in a leather mask and butcher's apron that chases folks around with a chainsaw out there. Be careful!

Jeff V. said...

I was raised in the Desert Southwest back in the 70's, and I remember the full moon on the mountains at night out there (so bright you could literally read a book by it) -- I always thought it looked the way Mordor must have looked, based on the descriptions in Lord of the Rings; but even then you could see the sheer beauty of it. I think for me that was one of the things that I most got out of Tolkien's work (especially the Silmarillion) -- that everything, even when desolate, was still beautiful; you just have to have the eyes to see it and the patience to recognize it.