Sunday, February 13, 2011

Majestic Wilderlands is in the 3 Castles Finals

It just been announced here that the Majestic Wilderlands made the cut into the final 5 for the Three Castle Awards. Now it goes before the the judges panels consisting of Dennis Sustare, Paul Jaquays, Steve Winter, Tim Kask, Robert Kuntz. The award will be annouced at North Texas Con in Irving Texas on June 2nd to 5th.

I must admit I almost didn't send in the Majestic Wilderlands. Not because I didn't respect what the Three Castle Award Committee was doing. I never done well in award competitions of any type so I tend to ignore them. But a combination of an email from the 3Castles Committee and getting a good price on my personal copies from RPGNow PoD made me go "OK what the hell." So I sent them my copies and now I am in the finals. And now I am glad that I did it.

If I win it, will be a win not only for me but for my best friends Tim and Dwayne. For my wife Kelly Anne and my boys. Plus for everybody who adventured and played in my campaigns and made the Majestic Wilderands what it is today.

I am up against some stiff competition. They are.

B/X Companion (Jonathan Becker)
Lamenations of the Flame Princess (James Raggi)
Stonehell Dungeon(Michael Curtis)
The Dungeon Alphabet(Michael Curtis)

Every one of those represents what best about the Old School Renaissance and if I was on the committee they would make my short list as well.

I am also a bit awed that the Majestic Wilderlands will be read by the judges. All of them contributed to making the roleplaying the hobby I love and now I face their judgment. I really hope that nat 20 comes up ;-)

There wasn't a whole lot of submissions this time (ten). I hope more people with OSR products submit next year. While only one can take home the actual award, the triumph is shared by all of us who worked and contributed to revive a game that was said to be dead.

In that we have all won.

5 comments:

jasons said...

Congratulations and good luck, Rob. I'm rooting for you.
Now back to work on that module!

Gothridge Manor said...

Very cool Rob. Good luck with it. Every entry seems solid. And I echo what Jasons said...back to work on that module!

Aaron E. Steele said...

You're in good company, every one of the products is top rate.

Akrasia said...

Wow! Congratulations and good luck. 'Majestic Wilderlands' is indeed majestic.

That's a great group in which to be included.

Lasgunpacker said...

Congratulations! Looks like you are in some pretty good company.

Really, regardless of who wins, the OSR wins.