Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas in your campaign?

To myself and billions of Christians around the world today marks the day of the birth of the savoir.  Cynics will say that Christmas is only celebrated as the birth of Christ because of the need to compete with the pagans of Rome. But I can't help note that in nearly all cultures of the world the time around the Winter Solstice is a special time of renewal and hope. In my view if one didn't know the exact day on which Jesus was born there is no better time to celebrate his birth.


Which leads me to my question How is the winter solstice depicted in your setting?

In the religions of the Majestic Wilderlands, winter symbolizes the enslavement of the mortal races to the demons during the Uttermost War.  Imbolc is celebrated at the winter solstice and is remembered as the turn of the tide in the war against the Demons. When the forces of light finally moved from fighting for survival to fighting for victory.

To all, my family and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Peter D said...

Since I've got a pseudo-Christian church, I can just call it Yuletide for the pagan barbarians and Christmas for the followers of The Good God (heh).

The PCs will be celebrating it in the Keep on the Borderlands this year, because no one ran off to the city last time and we haven't had a session recently. So, since time passes as in the real world . . . :)

Jake said...

Merry Christmas!