Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Points of Lights and Majestic Wilderlands

A year ago I wasn't actively pursuing a license from Judges Guild. Then came a series of opportunities to work with Bob Bledsaw Junior and other Judges Guild folks. Out of that came the license agreement that allowed me to create the Majestic Wilderlands.

Prior to this I was working on a Plan B setting that took all the original material I created for the Majestic Wilderlands and used a new geography and new names for everything. Somethings like the City-State would have been recreated as a totally new locale. I started this 3 years ago after the necromancer boxed set was finished. But it kept getting derailed, first by Badabaskor and then by Points of Light. Then came the license which saved a lot of time for me by allowing me to use my notes directly as well as the original maps.

The reason for telling you this is because Points of Light and the Majestic Wilderlands are connected loosely. I plundered the Plan B notes to create the loose background that underlies the settings of Points of Light.

Sarrath is analogous to Set
Delaquain is analogous to Mitra
Veritas and Thoth are likewise drawn from my Majestic Wilderlands although the relationship between the above four gods is original to Points of Light.
The Blood God of Wildlands and Azartac of PoL II are analogous to Kalis.

Of the eights settings in the two PoL books; the Swamps of Acheron is directly taken from my Majestic Wilderlands. The Paladin Artos that is imprisoned in a tomb in the midst of the swamp is the lost Ruling Prince of Nomar. William Enderil (Dwayne of Gamer's Closest) and Draco-lindus (Tim of Gothridge Manor) were responsible for Artos' rescue in one of my campaigns. William Enderil also personally saw that the Boglings were able to escape Acheron and found them a place to live in the Majestic Wilderlands.

The Blood Forest/Twilight Forest/Queen Saravell plot of Southland are taken from the Dearthwood/Loshain plot in the Main Campaign Area of the Majestic Wilderlands.

The Grand Kingdom, Bright Empire, and Ochre Empire are all original to Points of Light.
So for those of you that own both Points of Light and the Majestic Wilderlands hopefully this information is useful in combining the two for use in your own campaign.

As for the fate of the Points of Lights I don't plan on abandoning support in favor of the Majestic Wilderlands. I think there is still much to explore in creating small easy to use settings.

2 comments:

Timeshadows said...

That's cool, Rob. Thanks for a peek behind the curtain. :D

LazerZ said...

Regarding Points of Light, I have a few questions. First, it seems that there is no description for the port town of Nilik in the Southlands. Furthermore I'm wondering, in the description of Silver Hall it is mentioned that the warlord rules over 400 orcs, does this include noncombatants, or would they're be additional noncombatants on top of that? Finally would there be additional populations in the countryside around the various settlements, like farmers, maybe even smaller villages and the like, and if so how many/how far from the main settlements?

I'm asking this question because I'd like to run a sort of wargame campaign using the Southlands and it's likely that Nilik will be the site of the first battle, attacked by the orcs.